What Does it Mean to be a Hairstylist?
In 2002 I started my journey as a hairstylist by enrolling at the Brighton Institute of Cosmetology and it was the best decision I've ever made. I can't believe I've been behind the chair for almost 16 years! I am so grateful to be a part of this incredible industry and to have found such a wonderful family at K Bella. Looking back on everything I've learned over the years, there are 5 main reasons why I LOVE being a hairstylist! (In no particular order)
1. Artistry. Obviously, this is an artistic career. I have always enjoyed creating art and I am lucky to have found a job that allows me to do that. Being able to use my creativity to help someone else express themselves is one of the best parts of my job!
2. Opportunities. There are limitless opportunities within this career. You can travel the world, work for a brand, specialize in color or extensions, become an educator, or even become a salon owner! You can be flexible with your time and have the unique opportunity to make as much money as you'd like. As long as it grows, I can cut it, and that has opened so many doors for me. I'll always be able to use my talent, no matter where I am in the world. Not only is that job security, but it's also FREEDOM!
3. Constant Inspiration. Because this is an industry involving people, it will always be evolving, changing, and growing. I am most inspired when I am attending a class or event, learning about new products or techniques, or just watching other stylists in salon. I never have to worry about becoming bored or stagnant because there is always something new to learn or try!
4. Be Your Own Boss. I never thought at 34 I would be making my own hours and working a schedule that allows me to spend time making memories with my 2 year old. Being able to wake up in the morning to make him breakfast and be home to put him to sleep has a huge impact on our family dynamic. If you had told me when I was younger that I’d be successful in a job that allows me to work when I want to, I would have said you were crazy. But hey, crazier things have happened, right? Nothing is impossible! I am so thankful to have been able to create my own brand, Good Hair Vibes, have an incredible support system with my friends and family, and have amazing clients that trust in me!
5. People. This brings me to the most important reason why I love being a hairstylist: The people. MY people. The relationships I have with my clients fill a special place in my heart. Each one is unique and beautiful. The connections I've been able to form with these amazing humans over the years are the most important part of what I do. From first dates to having their first child, I've watched clients grow and evolve over the years. I’ve seen shy pre-teens grow into stunning, confident young adults. I've been a safe place to cry when they’re experiencing heartache. I’ve shared tears of joy and laughter. I've even had to do a little Facebook stalking when a boyfriend was actin' up. These moments are why I love what I do.